Friday, February 29, 2008

Treasures


While the U.S. Dollar is doing well against the South African Rand as of late, I still cannot help to shop for bargains. After a long week, I revelled in the opportunity to run errands in town. One errand of consisted of checking out from the public library, children's xhosa books that I attempt to read to students. While there I found some real gems. I found 3 National Geographic magazines that had articles of the Northwest, one an article on Washington, The John Muir Trail in Northern California, and The Pacific Crest Trail. The other magazines had articles on Nepal, and a couple south african countries, two of which came with maps the cost me the equivalent of 3cents a piece. I also checked out some Emily Dickenson and Thoreau. What a find. There is nothing like looking at pictures of Bloomsday race in Spokane taken from a helicopter, pike place market, Mt. St. Helen's, and the sun setting over the beach in the Olympics. Ahhh......Country road. Take me home. To the place where I belong......

I did come away with a book to read to students as well.

Oh, and I found some old keyboards at the local computer shop that they donated. This will give my friend, security guard and computer tutee Isaiah, something to work practice with at home.

2 comments:

lori said...

Matt! Thanks for the comment. We have hit up Snow City once since being here. It's not the same without you, Matt, but it is very nice.

Listen, we are probably going to hike the PCT this summer. For real, yo. It has just come about. Let's keep in touch about when you'll be back in the States, because maybe you'd want to join in for a couple weeks. We should be hiking Oregon during August, if all goes well and the creek don't rise.

Unknown said...

When do you come home Mattie K? We miss you around here. You're not missing too much here though, rain, hail, and a little bit of snow. Let's just say tennis season has been interesting so far.