Wednesday, February 27, 2008

This is why I am here




This photo was taken while I sat with a couple students one evening after visiting the shelter. We sat on the steps overlooking the city. I remember thinking to myself, this is how I want to remember my time here.

Today brought another "aha" moment. For teachers and family of teachers you know the aha moment, the moment in which a child realizes he or she is capable. I was not expecting it either. A 15 year old student had been referred to me by a teacher and I wanted to do a quick assessment to figure out where to start. I first assessed whether or not he knew his letter sounds. He knew them well and so made the assumption that he would be able to read a difficult text. When I showed him the text he gave me a blank stare as if to say, you want me to read this. I then pulled out a simple cvc (consonant vowell consonant) book called Dan the Tan Man.

He took the book and stated in broken English "I cannot read that." At this point I decided I would spare the poor kid from trying anything too difficult and damaging his self confidence. I gave him a simple worksheet where he had to listen to me say the simple word and he would pick the letters that needed to be blended to make the complete word. After a couple examples he was able to pick it up. I showed him some flash cards where he had the "an" and "ad" cards as well as some other letters. We sounded out "an" and "ad" first then I placed a letter in front of the "an" and "ad" cards and he blended them together. After he had built his confidence with this, I then showed him the small book "Dan the Tan Man." He read the book brilliantly. I told him he should be proud of himself. I then gave him the book and he proceeded to read the book to several teachers.

Later that afternoon in conversation with June, Ntombekia and Sarah, of the after school program, "What happened today is why I am a teacher." Who knows what tomorrow has, but today was incredible for both the student and I.

2 comments:

Katie said...

very cool, Matt! i could never be a teacher and am in perpetual awe of those with the gift... :)

lori said...

Yay, Matt. I'm so happy you're there and finding joy in service. We're back in AK now, and thinking of a certain ski escapade - Trip of the Wolverine, aka Trip of Many Kerplunks.

- Lori