Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Foundation Phase Launch

Thursday of last week was the launch of the Foundation for Literacy Day. The hassle of invitations and power points and organizing catering is not my cup of tea. We gathered about 50 people. The emphasis of the Literacy Day was to introduce the community and the schools to the curriculum we will be providing training and materials for. The curriculum is called Breakthrough to Literacy by the Molteno Institute of Language and Literacy. The premise as that we teach students reading skills from their home language and teach explicitly pre-reading concepts before teaching the abc's. The Foundation for Literacy Day has been appraised as a success by my superiors. I will take it and leave my personal criticisms to myself. It is nice to have the formalities out of the way so I can get to the nitty gritty in the classrooms. I am still naively optimistic about my work next year. I will enjoy it while I can.

No comments: