Sunday, June 1, 2008

Pudd'n Head Wilson

I picked up a copy of Mark Twain's: "Puddn' Head Wilson" the other day and have been refreshed by the sarcastic and ironic humor that this late 19th century author wrote. Here are a few quotes. To think an author of the 1890s could be so entertaining....

"When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know have gone to a better world, I am moved to lead a different life."

"Adam was but human- this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake; he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."

"The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money."

"All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"- a strange complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live."

"When angry, count four; when very angry, swear."

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits."

"Behold the fool saith, "Put not al thine eggs in the one basket" - which is but a manner of saying, "Scatter your money and your attention"; but the wise man saith, "Put all your eggs in the one basket - WATCH THAT BASKET."

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."

"It were not best that we should all think alike; it is difference of opinion that makes horse-races."

"It is often the case that the man who can't tell a lie thinks he is the best judge of one."

4 comments:

lori said...

Bravo!

Anne Marie said...

Oh, good ol' Pudd'n Head Wilson. I read this book as a kid, when I was making the transition to what I felt were "grown up" books. I think I might have missed some of the irony back then (uh, yeah), but it was great read nonetheless. I'm glad to hear you liked it!

Anonymous said...

so these are quotes using irony?

Anonymous said...

i want to suck sum dick and put it up my vagina