Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hogsback Thrills





I just returned from a 4 day trip to Hogsback. I had gone in December to spend time at an underpriveleged camp of 60 + campers. This time I went with students from the After School Program. With the help from the brothers of the Monastery who helped fund the trip, and the incredible help of Sarah and Ms. Myeki, a co-teacher and friend, we had an incredible time. Having to cook and plan and be responsible for 10 kids between ages 11 and 15 was a lot to juggle, but it all went well. To be able to open the world up to kids who have only been in Grahamstown and show kids how important teamwork and challenging oneself, and see tangible personal accomplishment is a true blessing. To see attitudes change and confidence build in a person never ceases to amaze me and give me hope. Every morning we went for a walk to a different waterfall, then would spend the afternoon doin team building activities, and personal challenges such as repelleng down a 9m tower and jumping from a telephone pole to a trapeze (while roped in to a harness).

2 comments:

Jesse Zink said...

Hi Matt,

Glad to hear Hogsback was so much fun and all the hard work was well worth it. I think you need to write more on this blog about your culinary talents, maybe share a few recipes.

By the way, Sam Portaro (from a previous post) was my chaplain during my University of Chicago days.

Your commitment to blog posting is admirable. Keep it up!

-Jesse

Jason Torreano said...

Matt,

Sorrrrrry! Sorrrry sir!

Hogsback looked like fun! Hope Kuyasa and Amasango continue to go well. The kids are lucky to have you--even if they don't treat you the best at times.

Okay, I'm going to bookmark this blog so I can keep updated on the latest breaking information from Grahamstown, South Africa.

jason