Sunday, May 4, 2008

Its My Mom's Birthday

Yesterday or today was my mother's birthday depending on what time zone you are in. I missed it, not technically, but she called me earlier in the day and I missed the opportunity. It is a bummer when you realize how much you do appreciate someone, but how little you show it. I feel that a lot. Letters unsent, words left unsaid.

Here I am reminded daily of what I have. I am reminded in moments with a choice to be joyful or feel guilt. I have family. While I don't see them or hear them every day, the knowledge they are there and they were there is enough; Malibongwe, Mango, Nyangayethu and Siposethu don't. I have economic supports- a steady income, people willing to support me financially, Xolani, Xoliswa, Bongisani don't. I had commited teachers in my classrooms who had resources, Zanoxolo, Xhanti, and Sinethemba don't.

Education, health, economic income, a healthy environment (clean water, sanitation), social-political stability, and spirituality (a sense of purpose and hope) are all factors to poverty. All needs must be met, because all these factors are interdependant. I have been provided all these things. Without them I could easily be on the other side of town. For that I am greatful and forever determined to provide and advocate for the same opportunities to those who don't have them.

Happy birthday Mom. I owe you a lot. I will pay it forward to these kids and try to remember ahead of time next year.

Matt Kellen

2 comments:

Taylor said...

Matt, mothers day is NEXT weekend. You still have time.

The Terps said...

Taylor, maybe you missed the title of the post. It was titled, "It's my Mom's Birthday." B-I-R-T-H-D-A-Y. That's slightly different than Mother's Day. : ) Good try though. Keep up the good work, Matt. I really enjoyed this post.